First Ascent Program Application
- Current high-school senior
- Applied or will apply to the University of Utah (scholarships will only be awarded to students admitted to the University of Utah)
- Intended Major in Business
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Significant financial need to attend college
To apply, complete the following steps:
- Complete Application Form — Fill out the entire Application Form. When you are done make sure that you digitally verify the application.
- Transcript — An official, sealed copy of your current academic transcript. (Unofficial copies will be accepted.)
- What goals have you set for yourself in pursuing a college degree? How do you feel the First Ascent Scholars Program will help you achieve those goals?
- What do you feel you are capable of?
- Describe a time you had to overcome a challenge and how you overcame that challenge. What was difficult, what did you learn?
- Two Letters of Recommendation (Do not include relatives as references)
- One letter must be from a member of your school’s faculty, staff or administration.
- One letter can be from a person you know through academic, employment, or community leadership experience.
- Proof of demonstrated financial need – one of the following may be used:
- SAR report from FAFSA
- Copy of parent/guardian(s) employment and salary records
- CSS Profile
Letters of Recommendation
Recommenders should fill out the following form. Recommenders are asked to comment on seven measures of college persistence in regards to the student applicant’s preparedness for college. Below are the questions recommenders will be asked to answer in their letters.
Based on your experience, please comment below. Does this student have the confidence to…
- Make it through college graduation
- Achieve set goals
- Handle new challenges
Based on your experience, please comment below. Does this student show awareness of…
- Strengths and weaknesses
- Self-change and growth
- Learning from feedback and challenges
Based on your experience, please comment below. Does this student understand…
- How to overcome challenges in an effective way
- How to navigate the “system” be it school, society, etc.
Based on your experience, please comment below. Does this student know how to…
- Set academic and personal goals
- Plan for the future
- Outline intermediate steps necessary to achieve goals
Based on your experience, please comment below. Does this student have…
- A strong support system
- A willingness to reach out for help
Based on your experience, please comment below. Does this student have the qualities to…
- Take on a leadership role
- Influence others
- Take action
Based on your experience, please comment below. Does this student…
- Show a commitment to their community