Welcome to the David Eccles School of Business!
The Eccles New Student Orientation (NSO) is a vital component of your online orientation to the University of Utah and is required for all new undergraduates starting a business degree. Whether you are a first-year or transfer student, this page will outline the steps you need to follow to get started at Eccles and enroll in classes.
New Student Orientation Sessions will be remote through Aug. 11 to protect the health and safety of our students, guests, faculty, and staff during the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.
Below are the steps incoming first-year and transfer business students completing the NSO process during August 2020 need to follow in order to complete Academic Advising and Course Registration at the Eccles School for Fall 2020. The Eccles School will reach out to all students via UMail to set up their orientation experience so please check your UMail regularly.
- You have already completed the first step by registering for your orientation week with the Office of Orientation & Transitions and been added to their Orientation canvas course. Please complete this course if you have not done so already. For questions regarding this course contact the Office of Orientation & Transitions. Once this course is completed, the Office of Orientation & Transitions will release your FIRST orientation hold.
- The Office of Orientation & Transitions AND the Eccles School of Business will add you to their individual Canvas orientation courses via your UMail (university email account). You are encouraged to complete these courses as soon as possible so that you can register for classes. It must be completed no later than August 21st as classes start on August 24th.
- You will automatically be added to the Eccles NSO canvas course via your UMail (university email account) within two business days of registering for a new student orientation with the Office of Orientation & Transitions. To have your hold removed you must complete this course which includes a short video and quiz at the end. If you do not receive an invitation to join the Eccles course, please email email@example.com and indicate that you have not been added.
Eccles Academic Advising
- At the duration of your Eccles canvas course, you will be prompted to watch a video and complete a short quiz. You must watch the video and complete the quiz to have your SECOND academic hold removed so that you can register for classes. It is important that you watch this video as it will coach you on how to use the registration portal on the Campus Information Services (CIS) so that you are quickly able to register for classes when your registration hold is lifted. You will receive an email within three business days of completing this quiz notifying you that your academic hold has been lifted and that you have been assigned an Eccles Academic Advisor. You do not have to schedule an individual academic advising appointment to have your hold lifted.
- You will receive an email within three business days of completing the NSO quiz in step 3 notifying you that your academic hold has been lifted so you can register for classes. Peer Advisors from Eccles Undergraduate Advising Services will also be available to assist you on a first-come, first-serve basis during drop-in hours with course registration s and to answer any questions you have during the registration process. Alternatively, you may schedule an individual academic advising appointment with your assigned academic advisor for a later date.
- To assist with the transition to the Fall 2020 semester you are strongly encouraged to attend a virtual Eccles Welcome on Friday, August 14th from 12pm – 1pm MST. You are invited to hear from Dean Randall, Andrea Thomas – Associate Dean of Undergrad Programs, and undergraduate programs and services which include Business Leaders Inc (the undergraduate student government)., Student Engagement & Assessment, Undergraduate Advising Services, Business Career Services and the Office of Student Inclusion at this event. Information about ‘how to’ navigate Eccles in line with safety expectations for fall, access resources, and get involved will be highlighted at this session as we welcome incoming and continuing students back to campus. We are so excited to see you there!
Below are resources that may be helpful for you with course registration:
- Class Schedule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DImRRGCkHB0
- Register for Classes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31xWOhihvRs&t
- Schedule Builder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGh4BPFHSFQ&t
- Eccles Peer Advising drop-in hours: eccles.link/peer-advising
Summer Resources for Incoming Students:
Have questions about Eccles Orientation?
Contact Tara Hardison, Director of The Office of Student Engagement & Assessment at Tara.Hardison@Eccles.Utah.edu.
Important NSO Dates
Frequently Asked Questions
It is recommended that you check your UMail (university email account) regularly, which will be the primary means of communication between you and the Eccles School.
The Eccles School receives updated lists of business students from the Office of Orientation & Transitions and will automatically add students to the Eccles Canvas course during their orientation week.
Through the Office of Orientation and Transition’s “NSO 2020” Canvas course, you will be orientated to university-wide information and practices. The Eccles Canvas course will introduce you to college-specific information that you need to know as an incoming business student. Completion of both courses ensures that you will have the information you need to navigate academic advising and course registration.
You will be added to the Eccles Canvas course the Saturday before your orientation week. The course will need to be completed by 5 p.m. on the Friday of your orientation week.
The Eccles School will remove your college hold after you attend a virtual Academic Advising session. The Office of Orientation & Transitions will remove your university hold after you complete their Canvas course.
The Eccles School will assign you an academic advisor 48-hours after you attend the virtual Academic Advising session. You can find your assigned academic advisor by going to Eccles.link/YourAdvisor. Your academic advisor will send you an NSO follow-up email.
An Eccles School academic advisor will assist you with course registration at the virtual Academic Advising session.
You can expect to learn how to utilize the registration portal on the Campus Information System(CIS) and all the premier services available to you at the Eccles School as part of your Eccles Experience.
You will need to create a Zoom account before the session. Information about Zoom can be found here. You will be provided a link to the meeting, but a Zoom account is required.
Please reach out to Advising@Eccles.Utah.edu if you need to reschedule your academic advising NSO session.
Student representatives of Business Leaders Inc. (BLinc), the undergraduate student government at the Eccles School, are hosting engagement sessions throughout the summer for incoming students. At the end of your Eccles Canvas course, you will be prompted to sign up for an engagement session. Direct all student engagement questions to Laura.Schwartz@Eccles.Utah.edu.
Be sure to attend the Aug. 21 orientation as staff will be available to talk with you about the programs and services at the Eccles School.