Job Offers and Negotiations
Learn more about how to navigate job offers and negotiations.
So you have an offer
- Say thank you, and let them know you are excited to consider the offer!
- Ask for offer details in writing.
- Find out when the employer needs your decision; use the time to research benefits/salaries and weigh other options.
- Be respectful of their deadline, and respond within the time-frame as soon as you feel comfortable. If absolutely necessary, you can request an extension on the deadline.
- Stay in communication with the employer as long as you are considering the offer.
- When making major career decisions, it can be helpful to use a SWOT analysis to weigh your options.
Negotiation & Salary
Take the entire offer into account; salary is not the only factor. Medical/Dental benefits, 401(k), bonuses and advancement potential will impact the total value of the package.
Use data to determine what you and your experience are worth; consider comparable salaries in your area. Conduct negotiation in person if possible, if not, then by phone, never over e-mail.