Internships provide valuable experience and prepare you for career success. In fact, many full-time job offers come from internships. To be competitive in today’s business world, we recommend completing one to three internships prior to graduating.
Internship opportunities are available year-round. However, be aware that some companies and industries recruit in the early fall for internships that begin the following summer.
How do I find an internship?
- Fill out your Career Interests within Handshake to identify your job target.
- Schedule an appointment with your Career Coach and make a plan
- Log in to Handshake to apply to jobs and internships. Check frequently to ensure you don’t miss out.
Handshake includes 4 job search engines that allow you to find positions locally, nationally, and internationally – all free for you to access though your own CIS page!
- Exclusive to U Jobs has postings from over 5000+ employers in our database who are looking to specifically recruit University of Utah students. Hundreds of positions are shared daily and you can easily filter to identify those most relevant to you.
- CareerShift is a personal career management resource that all University of Utah students have access to. It provides an easy approach solution to job and internship search, finding employer contacts, and more (see link in Handshake).
- GoinGlobal provides country-specific career and employment information, including world-wide internship and job postings, H1B employer listings, corporate profiles, and career resources for 30 countries (see link in Handshake).
- NACELink Network has over 5 million employers with local, national, and international positions right at your fingertips.
Making the most of your internship
Obtaining an internship is only the first step. You also need to perform well and make a positive impression on your supervisors and coworkers. Listed below are strategies for a successful internship.