What are we looking for in an applicant?
Applicants must be undergraduate finance majors intending to graduate between December 2020 and May 2023. Successful applicants will demonstrate the following qualities:
- Strong interest in exploring finance careers outside of Utah
- High GPA
- Willingness to work hard
- Strong academic curriculum
- Interesting work experience and extra-curricular activities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
What are the benefits to participating?
Students return from the trip with enhanced self-confidence in their ability to successfully compete for nationally competitive jobs in finance. Other benefits to you include
- Learning more about career opportunities in finance
- Improving your interviewing skills and your comfort in interacting with people in industry
- Visiting some of the world’s top finance venues to see where securities trading takes place
- Helping you establish a network with our alumni
How does the selection process work?
- A committee reviews applications and selects semi-finalists.
- Semi-finalists are invited for a short interview.
- Applicants are notified of their status.
You will be notified of your status by e-mail, so please be sure to include your e-mail address in your application.
May I still participate if I am not selected?
Many students ask whether they may tag along on the trip at their own expense, even if they are not selected. Unfortunately, the answer is no. Many conference rooms in New York are strained with a group our size. In addition, an important aspect of the trip is to connect students and alumni, which happens best in an intimate group.
When is the trip?
The trip will take place in May. We will leave Salt Lake City early Sunday morning, May 3 and return late on Friday, May 8.
What is the cost of the trip?
Thanks to a generous grant from the David Eccles School of Business, the expense of the trip will be only $500 per student. The cost of airfare, hotel (double occupancy), meals, and local transportation in New York is included in your trip. Money for incidental expenses is not included. If you are unable to participate in the trip and you notify us too late for us to replace you, your deposit is non-refundable.
What is expected of trip participants?
You must prepare a resume that meets our general guidelines. Before we go, you are expected to meet with the group several times. Interested applicants who have completed FINAN 3040/3401 are strongly encouraged to register for FINAN 3205. We will discuss basic topics including business etiquette and appropriate dress and behavior. You will research various aspects of the finance industry and the companies we will visit and present your research to the group.
If you go on the trip, you are expected to participate in all scheduled activities while we are in New York. There will be time after we arrive on Sunday and on some evenings to explore New York. After we return, we would like to set up several meetings with other finance students, so that they can learn from your experience.