Whether you’re gaining residency, taking summer classes, or just working, don’t forget to make the most of your summer because regardless of what is going on, the summer is the time for you to relax and enjoy yourself. If you’re not a huge outdoor recreation enthusiast like me, finding things to do around the valley can be difficult. If you dig deep there are lots of fun things to do, and I have gathered up all of the information I could on the best eats, the fun things happening over the next couple of months, and the concerts you won’t want to miss.
I’d like to consider myself a big foodie, and if not that, I am highly food-motivated, which means I’ve done my fair share of food exploration within the city. I have discovered many delicacies within the Salt Lake Valley and have crafted a list of some of my favorites eats in regards to taste and atmosphere:
- The Park Cafe
- Amazing breakfast!!! Generally busy, so try to go during the week if you can.
- Ruth’s Diner
- Not to be confused with Ruth’s Chris, this cute little diner is located up Emigration Canyon and is known for their delicious comfort food. Great place to visit during the fall and spring when the flowers are blooming or the leaves are changing.
- Log Haven
- This cute, scenic spot just up Millcreek Canyon boasts a five star menu. I’ll admit I’ve never been, but it’s at the top of my list!
- El Chihuahua
- If you’re looking for authentic Mexican food, I prefer Red Iguana over El Chiuahuah; however, you can’t beat the rubber duckies and the atmosphere this place has to offer.
- Hands-down best cookies in Salt Lake City. Yes, they beat Crumbl, Chip, and Goodly Cookies…
- Dough Co.
- Cookie dough that you can eat without getting salmonella? What a time to be alive!
- Bruges Waffles & Frites
- By now you should be able to tell I have a major sweet tooth. This place is the best whether you are looking for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or a fun dessert place. The Monster – featuring their signature waffle, Biscoff butter, ice cream, and strawberries – is KILLER!
- The Dodo
- Holy YUM!!! This place is the kind of restaurant that can do it all and still make every plate taste absolutely delicious. Whether you’re in the mood for breakfast, lunch, brunch, dinner, or dessert, their cuisine is tasty. They are very well known for their dessert pies, with my personal favorite being the Toll House Pie. Treat yourself and visit this place, you won’t regret it.
- After long hours of studying, sometimes you need some unhealthy comfort food, and Moochies serves just that. Known for their massive meatball and to-die-for cheesesteaks, this place will have you leaving with a smile on your face and a happy tummy.
- The Protein Foundry
- To the health fanatics out there, I didn’t forget about you! The Protein Foundry is INCREDIBLE. They know how to take all natural, healthy ingredients and turn them into mouthwatering goodness. Going out to eat and eating healthy don’t always go hand-in-hand, but between the acai bowls, delicious protein shakes, and healthy gourmet toast, the Protein Foundry makes it easy.
Honestly, I could go on and on about the food in Salt Lake City. We have quite the hub here. Some honorable mentions include Blue Plate Diner, The Rose Establishment, Campos Coffee, and Even Stevens. I get the struggle of being hungry but not being able to think of what to eat, so next time someone asks you where you want to go to eat, you can have this list ready to go.
Stay tuned for the next edition of how to make the most of your summer in Utah, where I pose a list of all the fun events happening this summer.
Bayleigh Whiteley is a sophomore at the David Eccles School of Business. She enjoys studying marketing and working as an Ambassador for the Business Scholars program and an intern for Marketing + Communications.