Congratulations are once again in order for professor Jay Barney, who has received the 2020 Strategic Management Division Outstanding Scholarship Award. He shares the joint award with Margie Peteraf of Dartmouth College. The award will be presented at the upcoming Academy of Management Meeting in Philadelphia.
The STR Distinguished Scholarship Award is awarded biannually for a discovery of major importance in strategic management. The award recognizes an individual or individuals that have either made a specific theoretical or empirical discovery or have developed a core set of ideas that fundamentally advanced research and understanding in the field of strategic management. Priority is given to the discovery’s importance to the field, with secondary priority weighted toward more recent discoveries.
The award will join an already crowded trophy shelf for Barney. He’s won five other awards over the last year:
- Winner, 2019, Edith Penrose Award for Path Breaking Management Research, co-sponsored by the European Academy of Management and INSEAD
- Winner, 2019, C.K. Prahalad Scholar Practitioner Award, Strategic Management Society
- Winner, 2019, “Foundational Paper Award,” Entrepreneurship Division, Academy of Management, “Discovery and Creation: Alternative Theories of Entrepreneurial Action,” with Sharon Alvarez
- Winner, 2020, Academy of International Business John Fayerweather Eminent Scholar Award
- Winner, 2020, Strategic Management Division Distinguished Scholarship Award, the Academy of Management