The Goff Strategic Leadership Center at the David Eccles School of Business, in conjunction with Real Women Run at the YWCA and the Hinckley Institute of Politics at the University of Utah, hosted a competition that challenged students to develop ideas, strategies, and programs that would help increase the number and diversity of women running for office in Utah.
Student teams developed and proposed innovative ideas such as creating local Real Women Run chapters, developing scholarship and sponsorship programs, and building local organizing and outreach groups. Other groups outlined an ambassador training model which would establish fundraising networks and training programs for aspiring young activists and students.
The teams were judged by a panel of experts including
- Yándary Chatwin, Executive Director of Communications and Community Relations at Salt Lake City School District
- Morgan Lyon Cotti, Associate Director, Hinckley Institute of Politics
- Shireen Ghorbani, Former Salt Lake County Councilwoman
- Holly Richardson, Editor of Utah Policy Daily
- Ruchi Watson, Managing Director, Goff Strategic Leadership Center
Real Women Run is an initiative through the YWCA that empowers women to participate fully in public life and civic leadership through elected political office at all levels, appointments to public boards and commissions, participation in campaigns, or effective engagement and instruction about our political system.