Utah has been increasingly recognized as one of the top places in the country for business. As recent research suggests, Utah’s pro-business climate is bolstered by the state’s strong and stable economy. Here are five different rankings to indicate that Utah is a great place to start a career.
1. Utah has ranked #1 on Forbes “Best States for Business” four out of the last five years.
Forbes releases an annual list titled, “Best States for Business”. Utah has ranked #1 on that list four out of the five past years.
2. Salt Lake City has some of the best rates for upward mobility in the country.
A paper released last year by the Equality of Opportunity Project, a joint venture by researchers from Harvard and U.C. Berkeley, ranked Salt Lake City as #1 in the country for upward mobility—with the term “upward mobility” referring to the chances of a person being raised in the bottom fifth income bracket and reaching the top fifth income bracket.
3. “Silicon Slopes” is now a commonly used term to refer to Northern Utah.
A Google search of “Silicon Slopes” will pull up pages of content about Northern Utah’s tech hub. Northern Utah has facilities for some big names such as Adobe, EA Sports, and the Intel/Micron joint venture IM Flash Technologies, all places where many Eccles School students and graduates have found internships or careers.
4. Chamber of Commerce recognizes Utah as the leader for its “Enterprising States” project.
The Enterprising States project is a two-year study performed by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Utah was found to be the best performing state overall. See the full article by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce by clicking here.
5. Salt Lake City is among the top in the nation for job creation.
A recent article released by gallup.com listed Salt Lake as tied for first place for the top metro areas in the nation for job growth. The Governor’s Office also announced on May 28 that Utah had ranked first in the nation for job growth for three consecutive months.