Many prospective applicants of the Professional MBA program at the David Eccles School of Business sit on the fence debating about the right time to start or submit an application. While we will accept applications throughout the year, there are some significant advantages to submitting sooner rather than later. Here are five reasons why you should consider submitting your application earlier in the process.
- Limited space. We accept applications on a rolling basis with priority deadlines throughout the recruiting cycle. This means that more seats are available earlier in the process and fill up as we approach the beginning of our semesters. We typically accept about 100 students for the fall and 50 for the spring, so you can see there are a limited number of seats in a given recruiting cycle. The later in the process an application is submitted, the fewer seats left to fill the class.
- Retake the GMAT or GRE (if necessary). In the event that the admissions committee asks an applicant to retake the GMAT or GRE, an early applicant will have the luxury to take more time to properly study and retake the test. You are required to wait 16 days from your original test date to retake the GMAT and 21 days to retake the GRE. Someone who submits an application at the last minute might need to wait until the following semester to begin the program if they need to retake an exam.
- More time to prepare for your time in school. Submitting an application earlier will give you more time to prepare for the Professional MBA program. Preparation can mean something different to each student. For some, it could mean getting finances set up accordingly. For our students who have been out of the classroom for many years, this might mean carving out study time each day and week to assure that they can allot the appropriate amount of time to each class. We also provide and require our new students to complete an online course called MBA Math prior to starting classes. This course prepares you for business subjects such as accounting and statistics. MBA Math is designed to help our incoming students hit the ground running, especially those from non-business-degree backgrounds. Family vacations and work commitments can also be scheduled further in advance once you know school will be included in your future plans.
- Begin participating in student events. Once you are admitted into the program, you will be able to participate in all Professional MBA student events! We host several brunches specifically for admitted students before the program begins so they can become familiar with their new classmates and begin growing their network before stepping into the classroom setting. We also host back-to-school socials before each semester as well as family events throughout the year. Once you are admitted as a student, you will not need to wait until classes begin to start taking advantage of everything the PMBA program has to offer.
- Peace of mind and bragging rights. The Professional MBA admissions process can be daunting and stressful. By submitting early, you can have the peace of mind of knowing that you successfully navigated the application and will begin the #1 part-time MBA program in Utah. You can enjoy the summer, grow your network, and tell your friends and family that you are going to pursue your MBA.
We are now accepting applications for the Fall 2017. If you are ready to start an application, be sure to read our article on “What I Look for in a Professional MBA Application.” If you have more specific questions, register for an upcoming event, email us at email@example.com, or simply give us a call at 801-581-6836 to speak with one of our coordinators.
Our goal is to set you up for success and prepare you for the academic rigor of an MBA program, and we begin laying that groundwork throughout the admissions process. From helping with GMAT preparation and reviewing resumes, to providing MBA Math and networking opportunities, we are here to help you each step of the way.