Despite the uncertainty of COVID-19 we encourage you to enroll in our Executive Education offerings with confidence. Courses will be modified to a full or partial distance-learning format in the case of campus closure. Because distance-learning courses will not be able to accommodate on-campus amenities, a discount may be provided. Please contact our office at ExecEd@Utah.edu or 801-572-7273 for more details.
20 – 21 August 2020
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Public speaking is an opportunity and platform from which leaders are able to express their emotional intelligence and it becomes a strategic position from which a leader can craft their own leadership narrative, as well as that of their organization. Learn how to examine your audience, implement rhetorical strategies, and deliver your message with effectiveness and confidence.
In this program, you will:
- Assess your strengths and areas of development as a public speaker.
- Examine your audience before crafting a speech.
- Be more persuasive/confident with different audiences (hostile, diverse, etc.).
- Implement rhetorical strategies that will create a powerful, emotional audience connection: storytelling, metaphors, rhetorical questions, repetition.
- Frame your speech with an effective organizational structure.
- Craft a persuasive introduction and conclusion.
- Develop and achieve a mindful, kinesthetic delivery.
Eccles Executive Education is recognized by SHRM to offer SHRM-CP or SHRMSCP professional development credits (PDCs). This program is valid for 13 PDCs. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit SHRMCertification.org.
Dr. Kathryn Cañas
Dr. Kathryn A. Cañas is a member of the Management Department in the David Eccles School of Business at the University of Utah. Her teaching currently includes courses on managing diversity, business communication, and pedagogical theories and practices on both undergraduate and graduate levels.