Strategic leaders are able to identify available resources and drive growth, while also accepting adequate risk to ensure growth occurs at the right pace. Assess your strategic skills and embrace a problem-finding skillset to enable your company to outperform rivals and delight today’s and tomorrow’s customers
Mastering Strategic Leadership
20 – 22 May 2020
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Strategists make risky decisions today which impact tomorrow’s success. Leaders motivate and inspire others to embrace and pursue common goals. Strategic Leaders combine these two critical sets of skills and unite them in the relentless pursuit of value. In growth-focused organizations, strategic leaders are developed and nurtured at every level of the organization from team leader to CEO.
This 3-day interactive program sets out a clear, effective methodology for creating value while sustaining growth. Participants will take a pre-program assessment to identify their strategic leadership profile, and they will examine how to use their skills to make strategic decisions under pressure in risky environments, while creating growth at the right pace. By learning to apply a problem-finding mindset and analytic and interpersonal skills to existing frameworks, you will accelerate your leadership growth and make significant contributions to your organization’s success.
Topics covered include:
- Your Strategic Leadership Profile
- Exploring, creating, and capturing sources of value, especially in uncertain or changing conditions
- Developing agility to address and anticipate potential challenges
- Engaging and leading your team towards your vision
- Creating strategies to attract partnerships and collaborations
Return on Education:
- Employer Benefits
- Incorporate new approaches into your current leadership strategies
- Identify ways to incentivize and engage key employees
- Anticipate potential future challenges for your organization
- Improve the productivity of your company through better developed decision-making strategies
- Employee Benefits
- Demonstrate and apply an integrated model of strategic leadership
- Improve your communication skills with important company leaders and shareholders
- Increase your productivity and the productivity of your team
- Understand successful methods of addressing obstacles and working under pressure
Who Should Attend:
- Strongly motivated individuals currently in leadership positions – or aspiring to take on leadership positions
- Successful leaders seeking to expand strategic thinking, communication, and other vital skills
- Individuals and leaders, at any level, who are charged with setting and reaching ambitious growth and performance goals
Eccles Executive Education is recognized by SHRM to offer SHRM-CP or SHRMSCP professional development credits (PDCs). This program is valid for 13 PDCs. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit SHRMCertification.org.
Dr. Patricia (Trish) Gorman is Managing Director of the Goff Strategic Leadership Center at the David Eccles School of Business at University of Utah, where she also teaches Strategy. Trish served recently as a Director at Deloitte, leading their U.S. thought leadership on growth. Earlier in her career, she consulted for the LEK Partnership and for McKinsey & Company, where she later served as McKinsey’s Director of Global Strategy Learning. Trish has held leadership and academic positions as Dean of the Jack Welch Management Institute, Academic Director of the Global Consulting Practicum at Wharton, core faculty at Columbia Business School and lecturer at Duke Executive Education, London Business School and various corporate universities. She has developed and delivered learning programs around the world for Heinz, IBM, Havas, Statoil, Samsung, John Deere, Ropes & Gray, Novo Nordisk, Nokia, SwissRe, Ford, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and dozens of other organizations.
Dr. Bill Hesterly is the Dumke Family Presidential Chair in Strategic Management at the David Eccles School of Business, University of Utah where he also serves as Associate Dean for Faculty and Research. His most recent research focuses on appropriation and the locus of value creation. His research has appeared in top journals including the Academy of Management Review, Organization Science, Strategic Management Journal, and the Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization. He served on the editorial boards of Strategic Organization, Journal of Management, and Organization Science. He is the co-author of Strategic Management and Competitive Advantage. Bill has been recognized several times with awards for teaching MBA and executive students.
Todd Zenger is the Entrepreneurship & Strategy department chair and the N. Eldon Tanner Chair in Strategy and Strategic Leadership at the David Eccles School of Business. Todd is a global expert on topics of corporate strategy, strategic leadership, and organization design and is the author of the acclaimed book “Beyond Competitive Advantage: How to Solve the Puzzle of Growth While Creating Value.” Todd completed his Ph.D. in strategy and organization at UCLA.