Summer 2023 applications are closed.
Internships are open to all majors university-wide (rising juniors, seniors, and graduate students).
*Students are responsible for a current passport and necessary immunizations. Visit the University of Utah’s Travel Clinic to find out what shots are needed and obtain all necessary immunizations. We are continuing to monitor the ever-evolving COVID-19 situation. All programs are subject to change.
Learn and lead in one of the fastest-growing economies in the world!
The Center for Business, Health, and Prosperity is focused on integrating innovation and entrepreneurship with health-enabling practices in pursuit of economic, social, and political well-being. Prosperity science is all about discovering what makes this type of progress happen and the ways to expand it.
The Prosperity Science Internship program is a unique opportunity for students to develop real-life skills to support their future career and educational goals. Interns work with sponsoring organizations (government organizations, non-profits, or entrepreneurs) to help them improve prosperity while earning university credit. Stand out from the crowd with a summer internship in one of the fastest-growing economies in the world. Click here for more info.
- Gain valuable leadership experience
- Work one-on-one with faculty from University of Utah faculty based in Utah and Ghana
- Stand out by participating in a learning abroad course
- Enjoy learning about a new culture
- Expand your horizons, travel, and gain new friends from the US and Ghana
- Become familiar with ecological and systems thinking in the social and behavioral sciences
- Cultivate an understanding of how to conceptualize and apply multiple influences that impact economic development in an emerging economy
- Gain experience evaluating and making strategic recommendations for helping business respond to contextual challenges
- Learn strategies for framing the cultural, political, economic, and structural landscape environment
- Understand the basic elements of behavior and social theory and how they relate to business development
- Improve oral and written presentation skills
West Africa Learning Abroad Dates
June 12 – July 7, 2023
University of Utah and Kpong, Ghana (Ensign Global College)
Taught by: Abbie Griffin, Ph.D.
Fee includes all accommodations, most meals, in-program transportation, all excursions, and travel insurance.
Not included: Transportation to and from the program, some meals, and incidentals. Participants are financially responsible for international travel clinic visits, immunizations and medications, and visa processing fees.
Ensign Global Campus in Ghana
Prosperity Science Internships are based out of the Ensign Global Campus in Kpong, Ghana. Participants will spend the first month engaging with local communities, partners, and students to explore and understand the cultural context in which they will be working. Students also will develop their internship goals, timeline, and deliverables during this period.
During the second month, interns will fully immerse themselves in their projects working with leadership on the ground in Ghana.
Our excursions expose students to a range of different experiences and enable them to gain a sense of the wonderful country of Ghana. Students gain an understanding of Ghanaian culture while exploring health, economic development, entrepreneurship, history, art, ecotourism, and much more. Our expeditions enable students to delve into a different culture and be able to appreciate everything that Ghana has to offer.