MSBA Program & Admissions Insights Video Series
Join our MSBA program leadership to learn more about career outcomes, curriculum requirements, and common schedules of MSBA students.
- Applicants are encouraged to complete and submit their online application as soon as possible, even if official test scores and letters of recommendation have not yet been received.
- The online application will ask for personal information such as your address, Social Security number, country of citizenship and date of birth.
- The application includes several questions used to determine residency status for tuition purposes. All students should complete these questions regardless of current or former location. For more information about determining your residency status, please contact the Office of Residency.
- After submitting the application, you can verify that all materials have been received by logging into the application portal.
- Admissions decisions are typically returned 2-4 weeks after applications are completed.
- Note that the application process is completed entirely online. Please do not mail any application materials to our office.
- Please note that ALL application requirements, including official test scores and recommendations, must be received and processed by the deadline for consideration.
International applicants holding a three-year bachelor degree should contact the International Admissions office to determine if additional coursework will be needed before applying to a graduate program.
For international applicants who attended an institution that did not use a 4.0 GPA scale, transcripts will be evaluated by University of Utah International Admissions officers. Your GPA will be converted to a 4.0-scale equivalent after you submit your application. A third-party transcript evaluation is not required.
The GMAT/GRE are not required for Summer or Fall 2020 admissions. Applicants who have taken the exams may submit their score as optional information.
International applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency and the ability to contribute to classroom discussions and interact in a team environment.
International applicants who do not hold a bachelor or graduate degree from a U.S. or English-speaking institution in the following countries (Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the United Kingdom) are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS standardized exam and submit an official score report.
The MSBA program minimum score requirements are:
- TOEFL: 85
- IELTS: 7.0
- Competitive score for admissions and scholarships: 90
Applicants who score below the minimums are strongly encouraged to retake the exam before submitting an application. A video interview is also required for admission. Please note the Eccles School has different minimum score requirements than the University.
Official TOEFL/IELTS scores take 2-4 weeks to reach the University, and official scores need to be received and processed before application deadlines. Applications will not be reviewed until the official score has been received. Please account for this timeline when scheduling exams and sending official score reports.
Two letters of recommendation are required for the application, and it is preferred that both come from professional relationships. The best letters of recommendation will provide insight and specific examples of your potential to succeed in the competitive and challenging environment of a graduate program. Please allow amply time for your letter-writers to complete and submit their letters of recommendation.
Other points to consider:
- The title or position of those you select is not necessarily important.
- Choose someone who knows you well and can specifically address your academic achievements or your ability to add value to the workplace or professional team environment.
- References of a personal or social nature are strongly discouraged.
- Where possible, recommenders should use company letterhead and email IDs when submitting recommendations.
- You are responsible for ensuring that both recommendations are submitted before the application deadline.
Recommendations are submitted online. You will be asked to supply the contact information, including e-mail addresses, for your recommenders on the online application. Your recommenders will then be sent a link to an online recommendation form. In addition to completing the form, your recommenders will have the opportunity to cut and paste or upload a letter of recommendation. All recommendations must be submitted online through this process. Paper recommendations are not accepted.
Required Written Essay – 750 word maximum
Written essay prompts:
- Tell us about your interest in and experience with business analytics.
- Why are you choosing to pursue the MSBA program at this time in your career and what do you hope to achieve while in the program?
- What goals do you have after the program, and how will the MSBA degree help you achieve them?
- Tell us about the personal qualities and/or experiences that make you a strong candidate for the program.
- Why do you think the MSBA program at the Eccles School is the right place for you?
Optional Written Essay – 250 word maximum
The optional essay is truly optional and may be presented in 250 words or less. It should be used to address any weaknesses (low GMAT or GPA) or inconsistencies in your application. You may also use it to explain your choice of recommenders or to share any additional information you would like the admissions committee to know that hasn’t been previously addressed.
Tips for Essay Responses
- Keep answers in a business context and framework.
- Include citations for any sources, quotes, references, or figures included in your essay.
- Focus your energy on painting a concise, complete, and well-thought-out picture of who you truly are, rather than present what you think the admissions committee is looking for in response to essay questions.
Imagine you are at the MSBA orientation. Please submit a video recording of how you would introduce yourself to your new peers and faculty members. Include any personal and/or professional aspects that you believe are significant. Additionally, include one interesting thing about yourself that is unrelated to your work/field of study.
Videos should not exceed 60 seconds. Please email your video essay to Kaylee.Miller@Eccles.Utah.edu. Students are encouraged to email a .mov or .mp4 file or a non-password protected link such as to a Google Drive, Vimeo or Youtube file.
If a personal situation through the Americans with Disabilities Act precludes you from submitting a video, please contact MSBAinfo@Eccles.Utah.edu for alternate submission options.
The MSBA program does not have a minimum work experience requirement for admission; however, having relevant work experience can strengthen your application. Prior experience in analytics or statistics is not required for admission.
You will then be asked to upload an unofficial transcript for each institution of higher education you have listed, regardless of length of attendance. This includes the University of Utah. An unofficial transcript for each institution must be submitted separately, meaning notation of accepted transfer credit does not replace the need for an unofficial transcript from the university from where credits were transferred. Your application will not be considered complete until all unofficial transcripts have been received, so please attach unofficial transcripts for each institution of higher education you have attended before submitting your application.
Applicants must upload a copy of all post-secondary transcripts to their application. These transcripts will be used as working copies during the admissions evaluation process. Failure to list all schools previously attended or making false or misleading statements on the application may result in cancellation of admission status and/or loss of credit.
If you are uploading transcripts from an international institution, please make sure to upload individual marksheets. We cannot accept a consolidated marksheet for evaluation.
- Official English translations must be provided if the transcripts are only in the native language.
- If you are having trouble uploading your transcripts due to file size, please email your documents to MSBAinfo@Eccles.Utah.edu, note that your file size is too large and our office will assist you.
- Official transcripts are not required during the application process.
An additional $30 fee will be charged for:
- Applications for spring submitted after November 1
- Applications for summer submitted after March 15
- Applications for summer and fall submitted after April 1
For program success, students will need to have a solid academic background in statistics. All MSBA applicants are strongly encouraged to complete a statistics course prior to starting the program. A few course options include: