Welcome to the David Eccles School of Business!
The Eccles New Student Orientation (NSO) is a vital component of your online orientation to the University of Utah and is required for all new undergraduates starting a business degree. Whether you are a first-year or transfer student, this page will outline the steps you need to follow to get started at Eccles and enroll in classes.
New Student Orientation Sessions will be remote through Aug. 11 to protect the health and safety of our students, guests, faculty, and staff during the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.
Below are the steps incoming first-year and transfer business students need to follow in order to complete Academic Advising and Course Registration at the Eccles School for Fall 2020. The Eccles School will reach out to all students via UMail to set up their orientation experience so please check your UMail regularly.
The Office of Orientation & Transitions AND the Eccles School will add you to their individual Canvas (online course management system) orientation courses via your UMail (university email account). You need to complete BOTH courses by Friday at 5 p.m. MST during the week you are registered for New Student Orientation.
It is recommended that you complete the Office of Orientation & Transitions course prior to starting the Eccles School course.
2. Within the Eccles Canvas course, you will be prompted to sign up for group virtual academic advising via Zoom (date and registration details are included in the Eccles Canvas course). You do not need to contact Eccles Undergraduate Advising Services to schedule an individual advising appointment.
3. Within the academic advising session, you will be able to complete your course registration. IMPORTANT: You will only be able to register for courses once you have completed both the “NSO 2020” and “Eccles New Student Orientation” virtual orientation courses in Canvas and a virtual advising session.
*Note: The University has put a Fall 2020 Enrollment Pause into effect from June 11th – July 6th for new students (First Year/Transfer) to make necessary adjustments to the Class Schedule. The schedule will remain available to view online. If your NSO week takes place between June 11th and July 5th information on how to register will be addressed during your Academic Advising Session so that you will be prepared to register on July 6th.
4. A highly encouraged, optional live Zoom session will be held with Business Leaders Inc. (BLinc), the undergraduate student government of the Eccles School. BLinc student leaders look forward to connecting with you and sharing more about how to make the Eccles Experience your own. Registration details are available in the Eccles Canvas course.
Below are resources that may be helpful for you with course registration after your academic advising session:
- Class Schedule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DImRRGCkHB0
- Register for Classes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31xWOhihvRs&t
- Schedule Builder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGh4BPFHSFQ&t
- Eccles Peer Advising drop-in hours: eccles.link/peer-advising
Summer Resources for Incoming Students:
Have questions about Eccles Orientation?
Contact Tara Hardison, Director of The Office of Student Engagement & Assessment at Tara.Hardison@Eccles.Utah.edu.
Important NSO Dates
Frequently Asked Questions
It is recommended that you check your UMail (university email account) regularly, which will be the primary means of communication between you and the Eccles School.
The Eccles School receives updated lists of business students from the Office of Orientation & Transitions and will automatically add students to the Eccles Canvas course during their orientation week.
Through the Office of Orientation and Transition’s “NSO 2020” Canvas course, you will be orientated to university-wide information and practices. The Eccles Canvas course will introduce you to college-specific information that you need to know as an incoming business student. Completion of both courses ensures that you will have the information you need to navigate academic advising and course registration.
You will be added to the Eccles Canvas course the Saturday before your orientation week. The course will need to be completed by 5 p.m. on the Friday of your orientation week.
The Eccles School will remove your college hold after you attend a virtual Academic Advising session. The Office of Orientation & Transitions will remove your university hold after you complete their Canvas course.
The Eccles School will assign you an academic advisor 48-hours after you attend the virtual Academic Advising session. You can find your assigned academic advisor by going to Eccles.link/YourAdvisor. Your academic advisor will send you an NSO follow-up email.
An Eccles School academic advisor will assist you with course registration at the virtual Academic Advising session.
You can expect to learn how to utilize the registration portal on the Campus Information System(CIS) and all the premier services available to you at the Eccles School as part of your Eccles Experience.
You will need to create a Zoom account before the session. Information about Zoom can be found here. You will be provided a link to the meeting, but a Zoom account is required.
Please reach out to Advising@Eccles.Utah.edu if you need to reschedule your academic advising NSO session.
Student representatives of Business Leaders Inc. (BLinc), the undergraduate student government at the Eccles School, are hosting engagement sessions throughout the summer for incoming students. At the end of your Eccles Canvas course, you will be prompted to sign up for an engagement session. Direct all student engagement questions to Laura.Schwartz@Eccles.Utah.edu.
Be sure to attend the Aug. 21 orientation as staff will be available to talk with you about the programs and services at the Eccles School.