Welcome to the David Eccles School of Business!
The Eccles New Student Orientation (NSO) is a vital component of your orientation to the University of Utah and is required for all new undergraduates starting a business degree.
Whether you are a first-year or transfer student, follow the steps below to get started at Eccles and enroll in classes. Questions? Contact Tara Hardison, Director of The Office of Student Engagement & Assessment at Tara.Hardison@Eccles.Utah.edu.
To protect the health and safety of our students, guests, faculty, and staff during the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, New Student Orientation (NSO) will be held remotely through January 2021.
NSO Canvas Course
You have already completed the first step by registering for your orientation week with the Office of Orientation & Transitions.
- You will be added to their Orientation canvas course on the Monday of your NSO Week.
- This course will need to be completed by the Tuesday of your NSO week.
- Each new student will have TWO academic holds that need to be lifted before course registration can be completed. Once you complete this course, the Office of Orientation & Transitions will release your FIRST orientation hold.
For questions regarding this course contact the Office of Orientation & Transitions.
Group Academic Advising Session
Once you’ve completed the NSO Canvas course, you will be prompted to sign up for a live, group academic advising session with Eccles Undergraduate Advising Services.
- Your Academic Advising session will take place on the Thursday of your NSO Week.
- At this session, your SECOND academic hold will be removed so that you can register for classes. You do not have to schedule an individual academic advising appointment to have your hold lifted, the NSO group academic advising appointment will meet this requirement.
- During this session, you will start registering for classes.
After the group advising session, you will receive an email within three business days notifying you that you have been assigned an Eccles Academic Advisor.
Connect with Business Student Leaders
- Connect with student leaders from Business Leaders Inc. (BLinc.), the undergraduate student government at the Eccles School. This optional student engagement session will be on the Thursday of your NSO Week.
- At this session, you will have the chance to learn from a student perspective about how to get involved and make the most of your Eccles Experience.
- The link for this session will be included in your NSO canvas course.
Attend the Spring 2021 Eccles Welcome
- Attend (virtually) the Spring 2021 Eccles Welcome on Friday, Jan. 17, 2021, Noon – 1 p.m. MST.
- At this event, you will hear from Dean Randall, faculty and staff, and undergraduate programs and services including BLinc., Student Engagement & Assessment (SEA), Undergraduate Advising Services, Business Career Services (BCS), and the Office for Student Inclusion (OSI).
- Information about ‘how to’ navigate Eccles safety expectations for Spring Semester, access resources, and get involved will be covered to assist you with the transition to the Spring semester. We are so excited to see you there!
Check out these videos for additional support when registering for classes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check your UMail (university email account) regularly, as this will be the primary means of communication between you and the Eccles School.
The Eccles School receives updated lists of business students from the Office of Orientation & Transitions and will automatically add students to the Eccles Canvas course during their orientation week.
- Through the Office of Orientation and Transition’s “NSO 2020” Canvas course, you will be orientated to university-wide information and practices.
- The Eccles Canvas course will introduce you to college-specific information that you need to know as an incoming business student.
Completion of both courses ensures that you have the information needed to navigate academic advising and course registration.
You will be added to the Eccles Canvas course the Saturday before your orientation week. The course will need to be completed by 5 p.m. on the Friday of your orientation week.
The Eccles School will remove your college hold after you attend a virtual Academic Advising session. The Office of Orientation & Transitions will remove your university hold after you complete their Canvas course.
The Eccles School will assign you an academic advisor 48-hours after you attend the virtual Academic Advising session. You can find your assigned academic advisor by going to Eccles.link/YourAdvisor. Your academic advisor will send you an NSO follow-up email.
An Eccles School academic advisor will assist you with course registration at the virtual Academic Advising session.
You will learn how to utilize the registration portal on the Campus Information System(CIS) and receive information regarding the premier services available to you at the Eccles School as part of your Eccles Experience.
You will need to create a Zoom account before the session. Information about Zoom can be found here. You will be provided a link to the meeting, but a Zoom account is required.
Please reach out to Advising@Eccles.Utah.edu if you need to reschedule your academic advising NSO session.
Student representatives of Business Leaders Inc. (BLinc), the undergraduate student government at the Eccles School, host engagement sessions throughout the semester for incoming students. At the end of your Eccles Canvas course, you will be prompted to sign up for an engagement session. Direct all student engagement questions to Laura.Schwartz@Eccles.Utah.edu.