Most CEOs are in their position because they are good at two things: strategy and leadership. These are the people who lead organizations to outperform their competitors. Competitive Strategy equips you with the knowledge and skills to develop a dynamic business strategy, in order to gain this competitive edge—and propel you to the C-suite.
Competitive Strategy (Online)
The central question in this course is: How do I develop strategy so my organization can outperform others and gain a competitive advantage? In essence, the answer is that some organizations are able to establish a profitable position in a market—and defend it—because they have some combination of resources and capabilities that allow them to gain an edge or an advantage over their competitors.
Knowing how to develop such a strategy gives managers the building blocks to establish an overarching plan for how to succeed in their marketplaces. In this course, study leading theories from influential strategists, dissect a variety of case studies, and gain tools and tactics to apply strategic responses to a variety of real-world settings.
In this program, you will:
- Learn how to move the strategic management process from concept to application.
- Link the value creation/value capture matrix to business models.
- Use industry and internal (company) analysis to formulate strategy.
- Apply concepts on competitive advantage to business-level strategies.
- Consider the implications of disruptive innovation for your organization.
Topics covered include:
- The strategic management process
- Industry and internal analysis
- Business-level strategies in cost leadership and product differentiation
- Disruptive innovation
Who Should Attend:
- First- and middle-level managers with an eye on the C-Suite
- Small-to-medium sized business owners
- Anyone with responsibility for business strategy
Eccles Executive Education is recognized by SHRM to offer SHRM-CP or SHRMSCP professional development credits (PDCs). This program is valid for 20 PDCs. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org.
Available On Demand
Start Competitive Strategy at any time. You will receive course materials and gain access to the learning environment within one business day of registration and payment.
Preview the Class
Access a free video lecture now to take the first steps in understanding and mastering business strategy. By watching this video, you will:
- Receive an overview of the Competitive Strategy class curriculum
- Get to know the instructor, Bonita Austin
- Learn how Lego expanded globally and overcame a growth slump
- Understand how anticipating external factors can impact a firm’s success
Bonita Austin has a background in securities analysis and is a Professor (Lecturer) and the Assistant Department Chair for Entrepreneurship and Strategy in the David Eccles School of Business at the University of Utah, where she has received many teaching awards. As an Institutional Investor’s All American All Star Analyst and Senior Vice President at Lehman Brothers, her work was frequently cited in such publications as The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Business Week, Fortune, and Forbes.