MSIS for Undergraduate IS Majors
A Master of Science in Information Systems degree gives undergraduate information systems majors the opportunity to further their IS knowledge and skills in only one additional year of school. With a hands-on focus and numerous career management resources, the MSIS program can open doors an undergraduate degree alone cannot.
BS/MS Co-Terminal Degree
The BSMS co-terminal degree is a unique option for current University of Utah information systems majors to complete the MSIS program immediately following their undergraduate degree.
- BS/MS students are eligible to take graduate IS courses while completing their undergraduate requirements.
- The GMAT/GRE exam and letters of recommendation requirements are waived on the MSIS application.
- BS/MS students are eligible for a $4,400 scholarship upon matriculation to the MSIS program.
Learn more about the BS/MS program.
Fast Track Application Process
The MSIS fast track application process allows our top-achieving information systems undergraduates to streamline their application to the MSIS program.
- Eligible students must have a minimum 3.4 cumulative GPA and minimum 3.5 GPA in upper-division IS courses.
- Students must be a declared information systems major at the University of Utah.
- Fast track applicants have the GMAT/GRE exam and letters of recommendation waived from their MSIS application.
- Students are eligible for fast track up to 5 years after they graduate.
Apply for MSIS Fast Track
University of Utah IS majors have the following MSIS core requirements waived:
- IS 6420: Database Theory and Design (3)
- IS 6410: Systems Analysis & Design (3)
- IS 6640: Networking and Servers (3)
- IS 6615: Data Structures and Java (3)
We place a strong focus on ensuring students continue to progress and increase their skills. As these courses are also required for the Eccles IS undergraduate degree, IS majors will not need to repeat them in the graduate program. All students are required to complete a minimum of 30 credit hours, so students who have these core courses waived can instead take an additional 9 elective credits.
Non-University of Utah IS Majors
Applicants who have an undergraduate degree in information systems are not required to complete the co-requisite, IS 4410 Introduction to Information Systems. Students who have an undergraduate IS degree may also be able to substitute core requirements for additional elective courses on a case-by-case basis. Once admitted, students can work with their academic advisor to determine individual requirements.